The Nontechnical Guide to Petroleum Geology, Exploration, Drilling and Production is the must book for someone who are nontechnical personnel or really new in the petroleum industry. There are several good points regarding this book as listed below:
• The author of this book, Dr Norman J. Hyne, explains complex subjects in the petroleum industry in very simple language. Moreover, what he wrote in the book covers all parts of petroleum starting from a geology phase to a production phase. You can see the table content of this book as listed below:
1. The Nature of Oil and Gas
2. The Earth’s Crust – Where We Find it
3. Identification of Common Rocks and Minerals
4. Geological Time
5. Deformation of Sedimentary Rocks
6. Sandstone Reservoir Rocks
7. Carbonate Reservoir Rocks
8. Sedimentary Rock Distribution
10. Ocean Environment and Plate Tectonics
11. Source Rocks, Generation, Migration, and Accumulation of Petroleum
12. Petroleum Traps
13. Petroleum Exploration – Geological and Geochemical
14. Petroleum Exploration – Geophysical
15. Drilling Preliminaries
16. Drilling a Well – The Mechanics
17. Drilling Problems
18. Drilling Techniques
19. Testing a Well
20. Completing a Well
21. Surface Treatment and Storage
22. Offshore Drilling and Completion
24. Reservoir Mechanics
25. Petroleum Production
27. Improved Oil Recovery
• This book is called “Nontechnical” because there are no complex mathematical equations confusing readers. There are only few simple equations which would help people get ideas for particular subjects. However, the details provided in the book have good and useful technical literatures so people reading it will easily understand the basic of technical knowledge.
• The book not only contains only text but there are several useful figures helping readers understand the content.
• This book also includes a lot of basic oilfield glossaries and abbreviations. When I was new to this industry, it was very hard time for me to get all oil field wordings and acronyms. Since this book already includes this part, it is truly advantageous for learners.
If you are interested in this book, the best place you can buy is from Amazon.com. Please check it out.