Junk from the surface drops into the wellbore and causes stuck pipe. It could happen due to several factor, such as poor housekeeping on the rig floor, rotary table not covered, or surface/down hole equipment failure.
Warning signs when you get stuck due to junk
- Observe equipment on surface falling down hole
- If down hole equipment fails, the drill string gets jammed suddenly without any signs.
- Stuck pipe by the junk can occur at any time.
- Suspicious substances, such as metal, wood, rubber may be found at the shale shaker.
Stuck identification for Junk
- Torque suddenly becomes erratic.
- Drag increases
- Equipment on the rig floor falls down hole.
What should you do for this situation?
- If you get stuck while moving up, jar down with the maximum trip load. Torque may be applied with caution.
- If you get stuck while moving down, jar up without any toque applied in the drill string.
- Maintain good housekeeping on the rig floor
- Ensure that a hole cover is used all the time when working on a rotary table.
- Maintain tools used on the rig floor in a good condition.
- Inspect downhole tool prior to tripping in a hole.
John Mitchell Drilbert Engineering, 2002. Trouble-Free Drilling Volume 1: Stuck Pipe Prevention. Edition. Drilbert Engineering Inc.
Fanarco.net. 1999. Stuck Pipe Prevention Self-Learning Course. [ONLINE] Available at: http://www.fanarco.net/books/drilling/stuck-pipe.pdf. [Accessed 21 June 2016
Steve Devereux, 2012. Drilling Technology in Nontechnical Language, 2d Ed.. 2 Edition. PennWell Corp.